Despite being maintained well, at some point, the windows and doors in your home will need to be replaced. This is due to the weather elements, general wear and tear and the age of the windows and doors. And with so many companies that offer window and door installation in Toronto, it can be quite a feat to find what you need to know before settling on a choice for your home.
In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about windows and doors upgrades, windows and doors installation, how to find a professional windows and doors company in Toronto and much more.
When Should I Replace My Windows and Doors?
Generally speaking, you know you need to replace your windows and doors when you start noticing the following signs:
- Increased energy costs
- Drafty windows and doors
- When the window or door doesn’t function the way it’s supposed to
Continue reading for more detailed information about window and door replacement.
Windows: Replacement and Installation
Window replacement requires a great deal of skill. It’s not as simple as just removing an old window and fitting a new one in its place. It requires a good amount of planning and precision. This is because historically, windows were built into homes as fixed features and were not intended to be removed. Over the years, though, homeowners have become more and more aware of the benefits of certain types of windows and the need to replace them periodically.
Hiring a reputable windows replacement company is key in getting the best and lasting results. If done incorrectly, attempting to remove and replace windows can damage other fixtures. Window replacement also needs to be done right because windows that are not secured correctly will allow air and water to seep into the home. And that’s something you absolutely don’t want in your house.
When to Replace Windows in Your House
Typically, the average window lifespan is 10-15 years (that is if it’s well-maintained, of course). However, if your windows are damaged or showing signs of age or distress, it’s time to consider getting new ones, even if it’s sooner than the 10-15 years you had considered.
A trained windows replacement contractor will be able to know for sure if your windows need to be replaced. As a window installation specialist, they will check for signs of moisture on the inside panels of the windows like condensation. And usually, a good time to assess water penetration is after rain. If moisture finds a way to seep in, it is time to replace your windows with moisture-resistant windows.
Choosing the Right Windows
Some questions to ask yourself when selecting the best windows for your home are:
- What replacement window features that you like in your old windows that you would like to keep?
- What window problems are you having with your current ones that you hope to solve by installing new windows?
- What is your windows’ ventilation like?
- Are you interested in other window qualities aside from water-resistance like energy efficiency, security or noise reduction?
Answering these questions can help point you in the right direction and help narrow down your selection.
Types of Replacement Windows
Knowing the different types of windows can help you determine the best fit for your home. Replacement windows come in various shapes and sizes, so whether you are in need of basement window replacement or windows replaced in another part of your home, you can find exactly what you need.
For example, casement replacement windows have grown to become a leading choice for many homeowners. These windows are hinged on one side and a crank mechanism opens the window outward. This feature also creates a tight seal when the window is closed. A fixed casement window has a similar design as a casement window but just cannot be opened.
Other types of replacement windows are:
- Awning windows
- Slider windows
- Hung windows
- Picture windows
Entry doors make a statement and are a focal point leading into your home. Over time, exterior doors begin to deteriorate and need to be replaced.
When to Replace Your Front Door?
There are a few signs that will tell you it’s time to consider replacing your entry door:
- Light shining through the door. Can you see a few rays of sunshine seeping in through, around or underneath your door? If this is the case, it means that air is also passing through your door. This also means that you are probably spending more money than you should to heat and cool your home. A good way to test for this is to stand in front of your exterior door and see if you feel hot or cold air coming through. If that’s the case, a replacement door is in order to keep your energy costs low and preserve your home’s interior temperature.
- Your entry door has become difficult to open or close. If you notice your door isn’t functioning the way it used to, it could mean that the door was not installed correctly initially, or that the weather has damaged the door over time.
At Milano Windows and Doors, we take the hard work out of entry door installation in Toronto and help you make the best choice for your home. You can go for a fancy look like entry doors with sidelights or choose a more conservative choice like a wood or fibreglass entry door.
Entry Door Design Ideas
Replacement entry doors come in many different types and styles:
Ever considered adding French patio doors? Installing French doors in your patio can do wonders for your home and make it look both modern and classic. If you’re thinking about patio door replacement, we have a wide selection for you to choose from. You can choose from folding patio doors to sliding patio doors or even French patio doors.
Check out our portfolio for more entry door and window replacement ideas. As experts in windows and doors installation in Toronto, you can always reach out to us if you have any questions.